Request a meeting

    Let’s talk about real results for your business. Leave your details and we'll get straight back to you.

    ReallyB2B Insights

    Learn the latest B2B marketing industry trends, techniques and news stories on our B2B blog to stay ahead of your competition

    This Chinese New Year, be more like a Monkey in your B2B social media marketing

    The 8th of February marks the beginning of the next Chinese Year. The Chinese calendar is made up of a cycle of twelve years, each one named after an animal, and 2016 is the Year of the Monkey.


    The Monkey’s personality

    So what does this have to do with B2B marketing? Well, according to Chinese folklore, people born in a particular year will take on some of the characteristics of that year’s animal.

    People born in the Year of the Monkey are believed to be smart, clever and intelligent, especially when it comes to their career. In fact, one of the most frequently cited personality traits of people born in this year is that they are incredibly sociable, with their gentleness and honesty making them lucky in love and friendships. If Chinese folklore is to be believed, a B2B marketer born in the Year of the Monkey should be a natural at B2B social media, engaging with prospects and generating leads like it’s going out of fashion.

    But what about those of us who aren’t lucky enough to be born in the Year of the Monkey? As 66% of B2B marketers believe social media generates leads, perhaps it’s worth spending some time applying the characteristics of this zodiac sign to your own B2B marketing strategy, in the hopes of seeing success and prosperity over the next 12 months[i].


    People born in this zodiac year are believed to be innovative and creative, constantly experimenting and testing theories. In their eyes, everything is possible, and they’ll get the results they want even if it takes time.

    It goes without saying that your B2B marketing strategy needs to be innovative. If you’re churning out the same content over and over again, or regurgitating information from other brands without adding anything of value, your prospects will quickly turn off. To avoid falling into this trap, create a content calendar with a concrete idea of your social media activity over the next week, month, or even quarter. Focus on engaging prospects with fresh ideas and exciting content, and entice them by discussing topics they’re actively interested in.


    Monkeys are believed to be enthusiastic. The Chinese say that people born in this year have boundless energy and passion, and the risks involved with whatever they turn their hand to are minimal because they generally succeed.

    Enthusiasm is a key factor in B2B social media marketing, and ensuring your posts are lively and positive will maximise the chances of prospects engaging with them. However, you also need to keep this enthusiasm going. When you’re six months into your social media strategy and you’ve got a million other things to do, it’s easy for enthusiasm to wane. Social posts may not always be your main concern, but it’s important to keep them a priority. Set time aside every day to post, keep content regular, and encourage your colleagues to ‘like’ and share your posts as much as possible in order to grow your online presence.


    People born in this year are self-assured and confident. They understand their strengths and weaknesses, and they believe in their own ability to succeed.

    Confidence and self-belief can be powerful personality traits, and when it comes to B2B social media marketing, believing in your business shows you as an industry leader. However, pushing this too much can come across as arrogant. Self-promotional content provides little value to followers, and 45% of social media users say they would unfollow a brand if they posted about themselves too much[ii]. As a rule of thumb, just 30% of your social media posts should be self-promotional, with the other 70% consisting of valuable content that isn’t related to your brand[iii].

    Don’t forget, there are other ways to show self-belief. Writing engaging content that positions your company as industry thought-leaders will demonstrate your knowledge to prospects, and start to build their confidence in your brand.


    For a more detailed insight into B2B social media marketing, download the free B2B Social Media Marketing (Part 1) guide now…

    Download your B2B Social Media Marketing (Part I) guide now